A block of flats in the Woolston area of Southampton were targeted by burglars following a large fire on Saturday 4th June.
50 firefighters attended the scene where an elderly man was rescued from a balcony and treated for smoke inhalation. Residents and neighbours were evacuated from the area where it is believed the fire started on the second floor of the building, sparked by an electrical fault.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service acted swiftly to ensure the fire did not spread to nearby flats and businesses. Residents of the flats would have been alerted to the fire by the communal fire alarm system.
However, when residents returned to their properties they found possessions had been stolen including jewellery and TVs from at least 8 flats. Officers believe the burglars had returned on more than one occasion to raid the flats and are hopeful that someone in the area will have spotted them.